Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Religionless



I was started in church earlier then I can even remember. Every Sunday my mother would load my sister, brother, and I into the station wagon and take us to pick up our grandmother. We would then head out to a small Baptist church somewhere in Decatur, Georgia. I have vague memories of Sunday school and I seem to remember getting disciplined on more than one occasion for climbing in the church.

        After a few years my mom stopped taking us and we mostly just forgot about church in general. I didn’t start going to church again until I was in middle school, then I went to Zion Christian Fellowship in Lithia Springs. Church was a good escape from my home life and whenever things would get bad at home I would go to church. There I learned many things about the bible. I developed a close friendship with the pastor and his family.  I became a rather devout Christian for some time, but the more I learned about the bible and the more I watched the news and learned about the world I started to have questions. Why is God so cruel? Why in the bible did God turn Lot’s wife to a pillar of salt simply for looking back towards home? How did God make light before he made a light source? Why did he need to send Jesus to die for our sins? If he were truly all powerful could he not simply forgive us?

Image from: Think That Through


         By high school I started to learn the theory of evolution and saw how it contradicted the creation story in Genesis. And it occurred to me, if one part of this book is untrue than the book as a whole loses credit as being fact. It was then that I decided to look into other religions. I spent much of the next couple of years looking into different religions, my mother works at a book distributor so this made it easy for me to have fairly unlimited access to many religious texts. For a short time in tenth grade I started a “coven” with a few other friends from school, we really didn’t do anything but draw pentagrams on all of our stuff, dress in all black, and read a lot of books on witch craft. I looked briefly into the Necronomicon which is a book on summoning the dead, but couldn’t take it seriously. All these things had one major flaw in common. They all had a creation stories or similar stories that contradicted known scientific facts. Buddhism, in my opinion, is the only contradiction to the previous statement. A quote from Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama says "if scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims." I wish all religions would be so reasonable, but I will talk more about Buddhism in a later post.
        It was at this point that I turned my attention and efforts to my science book. I found an abundance of answers to nearly all my questions. Why is the universe so big? Where did it all come from? Which came first the chicken or the egg? How can there be life and beauty without god/ gods? It was only after much study and debate that today I confidently call myself an Atheist. I honestly do not believe that any gods exist; we are here through random chance. The fact that there is no god does not make life any less beautiful or meaningful. In fact I think it makes life more important, we don’t need to focus on what we imagine will happen to our “spirit” when we die. We need to focus on living the only life we will ever get and make the most of it. Not believing in god does not make me immoral either, I chose to be good because it is the right thing to do, not because I think I will be punished for all eternity. I don’t however think that other people should have to give up their religions, some people need a coping mechanism to keep them happy until such a time as their heart stops, their brain turns off and they go into the ground forever. Because once someone is dead, they will never know if they were wrong.


6 comments:

  1. Jeremy, I enjoyed learning about your struggle with religious beliefs and spirituality. I especially like all of the questions that include in your post, as I think everyone struggles with these same questions. As a Christian, it is sometimes hard for me to reconcile my own intuition and education with the Bible and things that my church teaches. I actually did graduate work in Anthropology and ended up having a major spiritual crisis as a result because, as an anthropologist you're taught to value all cultures and belief systems (as you say, all cultures have their coping mechanisms, religion being one of them). So, if all religions are equally believed in by their adherents, then how can they all be true; they seem to cancel each other out. Since that time, I've also done a lot of reading and meditating on these questions and doubts and I've come to conclusion that there are so many similarities between all religions that it might just be that they are all right, just in different ways.

    And I don't think that the Bible and evolution are necessarily at odds. As a child, I was fascinated with dinosaurs. I remember my great-grandmother telling me that dinosaurs could not have existed because they're not mentioned in the Bible. Actually, the Bible does mention behemoths and other animals and creatures that don't have modern-day equivalents. I think far too many people read the Bible too literally and this leads to the misconception that the Bible contradicts evolution. For example, the Bible says that one day in Heaven is like a thousand days on earth (again, I don't think this is literal, just a metaphor). If that's the case, then we don't necessarily have to believe that God created the earth in seven days. God's seven days are not necessarily equal to our seven days (our concept of days and even how many days make up a week is a totally man-made concept that has actually changed throughout history). It could be that it did in fact take God several millennia to create the universe and He may have even started the whole process with a Big Bang. I just don't think it's within our ability to understand God or the universe, for that matter.

    Sorry, for such a long comment, but your post just really hit home for me. I'm excited that the class will have an opportunity to discuss these issues via your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually heard many theories of god guided evolution. Before I stopped going to church I asked my Pastor some of the questions I had. He told me his theory that God made the earth and the Dinosaurs for his favorite angel Lucifer to rule, because God ruled the rest of the universe, after having his own planet and creatures to control Lucifer got it in his head that he was as good a God and he could run heaven and the rest of the universe too. After Lucifer's betrayal God destroyed the dinos and started again. (An interesting side note, Mormons believes black people came from the angels, who sided with Lucifer in the “great war”, that's why they're black, burnt by hell fire. So, that's offensive, huh?)
      Anyways, after hearing his theories I had more questions. The bible is supposed to be the infallible word of God. He would have written, or made someone else write, exactly what he meant to say. But if we can reinterpret the bible as we see fit than other men must have been doing it for centuries. This, for me, means the bible is no more an accurate that The Chronicles of Narnia. There are many other points where the bible contradicts science though. God makes the Earth before he made light, he made light before he made the sun, Adam and Eve only had two children that we know of Cain and Able, neither was a female yet Able still managed to reproduce. At one point God “stops the sun in the sky” so Joshua can have more time to kill people. Not to mention all the atrocities that God allowed to happen/ told someone to do. God said in 1 Samuel 15:3 “Now go, attack the Amalekites and totally destroy everything that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys.” And Numbers 31:17 -18 “Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man. Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves.”
      I apologize if anything I said offends you, it was not my intent. I only wished to give a little more insight as to why I turned away from Christianity specifically. I must say, I applaud your statement that all religions are right in their own way. It is rare to find a person of any religion who is so open minded and understands what religion means to everyone. I can’t wait to see what you think about my future posts :)

      Delete
    2. No offense taken. I completely understand your viewpoint.

      I think that the primary thing that helps me to live with all of these contradictions and answerless questions is faith. And if you don't have faith, you just can't understand. But faith is not something you can wish for or force or fake. You find it after a long, hard struggle and lots of inward meditation (if I were not a Christian, I would definitely be Buddhist or Hindu).

      Delete
  2. Religion is the most powerful thing in the world. I can completely relate with this. Great post man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeremy, I have struggled with some of the questions you posted, too. I attended a Catholic elementary school for eight years. On the eve of my First Holy Communion, I told my mom, “You don’t really believe in God, do you,” and she was shocked! I eventually came to be a very devout boy/teenager. I was always the one waking up the family, making sure they were dressed, and ready to go to church on time. I prayed all the time, I didn’t curse, and I helped people whenever I could. I was almost all the way through high school before I completely gave up on God. When I was a senior I only cared about 4 things: my faith, my family, my girlfriend, and football. The first to go was football; the season ended and I knew I was too small to play on a college team (I was a 165 lbs. offensive center; I was one of the smallest guys on the team). Then my girlfriend and I decided to break up. I was completely lost. God was not there for me; so, in my mind, God did not exist. I decided to cut religion, God, and faith out of my life. And since then there has been only one experience that I “requested” God watch out for me. I use to be an Airborne soldier in the Army. Just before I made a jump out of a perfectly good airplane I would say to myself, “If there is a God, please let my parachute open!” I think I did this just to be on the safe side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, once when I was 19 and I was driving home drunk I prayed "if there is a god let me get home alive." I made it home a live alright, but it was the next day. Because I got pulled over 20 feet from my driveway for having an out tail light, and was then busted for being drunk.

      Delete